McKinney Vento Initiative
Under the UCLA Bruin Resource Center, the McKinney Vento (MKV) Initiative aims to foster academic success by providing community, case management, and support with basic needs for students who identify as homeless by the McKinney-Vento Act. The UCLA McKinney Vento Initiative is currently housed under the Bruin Guardian Scholars Program. MKV scholars receive the same benefits as our BGS students.
A few of the resources MKV offers includes:
- Scholarships and other financial assistance (if you maintain a good GPA)
- Newsletters with a variety of resources and services
- Employment and internship opportunities
- Workshops, outings and other community building events (visit our events page)
In order to access these resources you must be considered an active member and satisfy our eligibility requirements. For specific information regarding prospective students, continuing or graduate students please see the appropriate tab under “For Students.”
Eligibility for the MKV Initiative under BGS is dependent upon adhering to BGS requirements. Members should satisfy the following requirements:
- Identify as having experienced houselessness within the last 2 years of high school or first 2 years of college
- Identify as a current undergraduate student
- Submit proof of status (ex: letter from a case worker, shelter, financial aid office, etc...)
- Submit a BGS/MKV application
- Attend a new student orientation
- Complete an intake with an MSW
Once you have become a member of our program you must continue to be an active student with our program and abide by all college standards for appropriate conduct and community behavior.